Retiring setup.hint

Jon Turney jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Tue Nov 14 12:20:00 GMT 2017

On 13/11/2017 19:59, Thomas Wolff wrote:
> Am 25.10.2017 um 21:42 schrieb Jon Turney:
>> I propose that calm will stop accepting uploads containing setup.hint
>> some time shortly after 2017-11-18.

So, firstly this plan has been superseded...

>> This is approximately one year after the cygport release [1] which,
>> stopped generating these files, so if you're using cygport >= 0.23.0,
>> no action is needed.
>>
>> Warnings that you need to upgrade cygport have been generated for more
>> than 6 months [2].
>>
>> After setup.hint uploads are disabled, any remaining setup.hint in the
>> cygwin release on sourceware.org will be migrated to pvr.hint(s), as
>> per [3].
>>
>> [1] https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2016-11/msg00078.html
>> [2] https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2017-04/msg00024.html
>> [3] https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2016-09/msg00025.html
> I would appreciate to see some explanation about this. Why the change
> and what are package maintainers expected to do?

... so, you don't have to do anything.

I hope that the:"WARNING: '/sourceware/cygwin-staging/home/Thomas
Wolff/x86_64/release/mintty/setup.hint' seen, please update to cygport
 >= 0.23.0" in the mails you received from calm appropriately indicates
the expectation that I'd like you to update the version of cygport you
are using, when convenient for you.

> If calm can simply "rename setup.hint to pvr.hint", what's the purpose
> of all this?

I like to think what I wrote was a bit more nuanced than that.

>> "If the appropriate pvr cannot be determined [...], the upload will fail"

In the (common) case where a setup.hint and package archives for a
single version are uploaded, renaming is possible.

But there are less common, but permitted scenarios where this is not
possible, e.g.:

- If you decide to upload e.g. 2.9.0-1 and test version 3.0.0-1 at the
same time.  Not recording the dependencies for these versions separately
fundamentally does not work (see [1])

- Uploading just a replacement setup.hint for an existing version is no
longer permitted under these rules (but you can still upload a
replacement pvr.hint for a specific version)

It would have been nice if it had occurred to me that I could do this
renaming trick a bit earlier, though...

[1] https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2016-06/msg00069.html