Providing/Packaging a Postinstalled SUSV4 Doc only Package a la Debian

Fri Mar 10 20:10:00 GMT 2017

On Mar 10 15:43, David Stacey wrote:
> On 06/03/17 20:42, Brian Inglis wrote:
> > Debian provides a SUSV4 package which downloads the tar.bz2 and installs
> > the HTML tree from:
> >
> > 	http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/download/
> >
> > in the postinstall script, as they believe that complies with the terms
> > permitting individual download stated and linked at:
> >
> > 	http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/terms.htm
> >
> > 	http://www.opengroup.org/legal
> >
> > Is there any interest in such a package in Cygwin, and is this approach
> > acceptable?
>
> Given that no-one else has replied:

Sorry for not replying earlier.  Yaakov asked our legel dept
for advice and the result is this:

It's ok if the package downloads the tar file and unpacks it in a
post-install script, provided that the user gets an opportunity to
see http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/terms.htm prior to the
installation.

For that to accomplish it's sufficient if the user gets pointed to
that document at install time.  You can do this with an install
message.  In cygport, add something like

  MESSAGE="The content generated by this package is provided under the terms as outlined by http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/terms.htm"

That will do it.

> Otherwise, I am nervous about setting a precedent for a package that could
> give different contents each time it is installed (yes, Microsoft, I'm
> looking at you too). And there are plenty of corner cases where this
> wouldn't work: offline installs, web proxies, or if the account performing
> the Cygwin install (e.g. Administrator) was blocked from accessing the web
> (on security grounds).

This is another interesting point of course.  Does wget or curl allow
to specify a (short) timeout before giving up and just not installing
anything, perhaps?

Red Hat