[RFC] splitting documentation

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Fri May 20 15:10:00 GMT 2016

moving back to apps.

On 20/05/2016 16:41, Jon Turney wrote:
> On 19/05/2016 22:34, Marco Atzeri wrote:
>> To move the documentation in a noarch package
>> I split lilypond in two source packages.
>>
>> http://matzeri.altervista.org/noarch/lilypond-doc/
>> http://matzeri.altervista.org/x86/lilypond/
>> http://matzeri.altervista.org/x86_64/lilypond/
>>
>> The documentation is just a copy of the upstream PDF so :
>> - the source package is a dummy to avoid data duplication
>
> I can see why you want to do this, but I'm not sure it's a good idea.
>
> One reason being, *IF* we were to ever end up in the situation where
> only source packages were uploaded, and some build service constructed
> the binary packages, that builder would not be permitted to download
> arbitrary files.

I see no advantage for a build robot on this issue,
where we are just packing data.

As alternative there is no source package to be built
and we just put together the binary one.

$ cygcheck -l lilypond-doc
/usr/share/doc/lilypond/pdf/essay.pdf
/usr/share/doc/lilypond/pdf/learning.pdf
/usr/share/doc/lilypond/pdf/music-glossary.pdf
/usr/share/doc/lilypond/pdf/usage.pdf

The packages with no source package are currently

R_autorebase          Marco Atzeri
base-cygwin           Corinna Vinschen
chere                 Dave Kilroy
cygcheck-dep          Mikhail Usenko