setup.hint documentation issues

Jon Turney jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Tue Mar 29 18:36:00 GMT 2016

On 17/02/2016 14:23, Jon Turney wrote:
> On 09/02/2016 17:10, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> On Feb  9 13:18, Jon Turney wrote:
>>> * 'sdesc' text is mangled in setup.ini (but not the HTML package
>>> list)
>>>
>>> In particular, it is forced to start with a capital letter (which
>>> is incorrect when the sdesc starts with a command name which is
>>> properly lower-case, e.g. "dash shell", etc.), and any text up to
>>> and including the first colon is removed, presumably in an effort
>>> to prevent people writing the package name again, (which mangles
>>> perl and ruby module names in the description, e.g. "Ruby
>>> Net::HTTP persistent connection support", ""Perl Math::Int64
>>> distribution", etc.)
>>>
>>> I'd suggest this mangling is removed, and sdesc starting
>>> "packagename:" is explicitly reported.
>>
>> Sounds good, but where is this mangling performed?  Upset?
>
> Yes, upset currently does this mangling.

This mangling is no longer done.

Instead there is an attempt to enforce the rule (from [1]) that, "the
package name should not be part of the description", by detecting a
sdesc which starts "packagename:" or "packagename -", but this is
probably fairly easy to defeat.

[1] https://cygwin.com/setup.html