Questions on package adoption conventions

Jon Turney jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Sat Oct 31 00:18:00 GMT 2015

On 30/10/2015 23:25, Mark Geisert wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Oct 2015, Marco Atzeri wrote:
>> On 30/10/2015 22:48, Mark Geisert wrote:
>>> Q3: What kind of external access is typically used for hosting final
>>> builds?  I've run a micro-ISP that allowed on-request FTP access, by IP
>>> address, to customers, but have not needed to run anonymous FTP to this
>>> point.  What about SSH/SFTP?  Is there such a thing as anonymous SFTP?
>>> Does HTTP and/or HTTPS access need to be provided?
>>
>> Upload instructions:
>> https://sourceware.org/cygwin-apps/package-upload.html
>
> D'oh, users download source packages from cygwin.com, of course.
>
> I was confused by the SRC_URI= line in cygutils.cygport.  Does that
> merely indicate where this package came from at the time the .cygport
> file was written, or does it denote a commitment by the maintainer to
> continue hosting the package from that URI?  If the latter, that's why I
> was asking about access methods.  Is SRC_URI required?

SRC_URI is the URI for the upstream source.

cygport's fetch (aka download) subcommand will fetch the upstream source
from the specified SRC_URI

cygutils is somewhat a special case as cygwin is the upstream :)

The sources are in CVS at
pserver:anoncvs@sourceware.org:/cvs/cygwin-apps, but the tarballs seem
to be hosted on fruitbat.org at the moment.

I think the best thing to do is to ask for that CVS to be migrated to
git, then the cygport can be written to fetch the source directly from a
specified tag in git, since this will avoid the need for you to make
tarballs and work out where to host them.