cygport: 'announce' feature branch

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Wed Nov 4 16:12:00 GMT 2015

On 11/3/2015 7:10 PM, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> On Tue, 2015-11-03 at 18:23 -0500, Ken Brown wrote:
>> If there's no mailserver configured, I'd like to see cygport save the
>> mbox file in the current directory and give an informational message,
>> rather than saving it in /tmp and giving an error message.  Users might
>> want to simply paste it into an email, and the error message seems a
>> little unfriendly.
>
> First, I have already changed SMTP_SERVER to default to localhost,
> matching git's behaviour.  (If it wasn't already painfully obvious, this
> is all modelled after git send-email.)  Therefore, the error message now
> reflects an actual failure to send the message.

The analogy with git explains my reaction.  cygport announce strikes me
as a combination of git format-patch and git send-email.  In my own use
of git, I've never bothered to configure git send-email.  I just use git
format-patch and paste it or attach it to an email.  So I was expecting
to use cygport announce the same way.  And I can in fact use it the same
way, but it tells me there's an error.  That's OK.  I'll try not to take
it personally.

Ken