Obsolete dependency report, 2015-May-15

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Sat May 16 08:56:00 GMT 2015

On 5/15/2015 9:03 PM, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> Since the last report, we've had three new obsoletions that haven't been
> fully resolved yet: icu[1], poppler, and python3.
>
> Thank you to all those that have stepped up or returned to (re)maintain
> packages; this allowed for the removal of several obsolete libraries.
> We are now down to just three packages which are subject to removal from
> the distro if they are not updated in the next couple weeks.
>
> amanda[2]                                    Mark O’Keefe
> brltty[2]                                    ORPHANED (Samuel Thibault)
> grub[2]                                      ORPHANED (Christian Franke)
> khronos-opengl-registry                      Jon Turney
> lyx                                          Marco Atzeri
> mosh                                         ORPHANED (Reini Urban)
> nmh                                          David Levine
> octave                                       Marco Atzeri
> octave-communications                        Marco Atzeri
> python3-h5py                                 Chris LeBlanc
> R                                            Marco Atzeri
> singular                                     Yue Ren/Marco Atzeri
> sng[3]                                       Andrew Schulman
> texlive                                      Ken Brown
> tin                                          Corinna Vinschen
>
> [1] All the WebKit implementations depend on ICU; there are currently
> four of them, and they are all *HUGE*.
> [2] subject to removal from the distribution
> [3] https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2015-02/msg00152.html
>
> The master list is kept at:
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eiQ0Mcp588cVVt5LaYXQG5i_HznVF14k50j_pneGT68/edit?usp=sharing
>
> This page is set for moderated changes, so feel free to strikethrough
> your package from the list once its uploaded.
>
> TIA,
>
> Yaakov

I am uploading the dependencies of singular now and testing Yue's last
monolithic proposal. If it passes the test as expected I will also
upload both archs during weekend.

Question: as I plan to readjust the package structure it will enough to
move the old directories on sourceware

singular-base   : replaced by singular
singular-help   : will remain
singular-icons  : obsoleted
singular-share  : obsoleted
singular-surf   : replaced by surf (that is a stand alone package)

under the singular directory ?
Anything else to not upset "upset" ?

About the other packages:

- I do not consider not using the last hdf5 library a critical issue.
Upstream is bumping SONAME too many times for my appreciation,
HDF5-1.8.15 bumped again to libhdf5_10. Two bumps in the raw for a
minor version release (gr...)

- Octave is on 4.0.0-rc4 so a new package will arrive soon,
   but I will need to update all octave-forge subpackages.
   And it will take a while.

- I will look on R and Lyx but time will be short in the coming weeks.

Regards
Marco