[ITP] busybox 1.23.2-1

Christian Franke Christian.Franke@t-online.de
Sat Jun 27 15:13:00 GMT 2015

Achim Gratz wrote:
> Christian Franke writes:
>> (On NTFS. A copy to a USB flash drive with a FAT will grow the
>> non-standalone version to ~10MB due to the many small symlink files).
> I was mostly interested in the download size.
>
>> Most space is used by cygwin1.dll itself.
>>
>> busybox.exe with all working features enabled is ~600MB (bash:
>> ~700MB). Removing the daemons, other rarely used commands and some
>> features could reduce it to 300-350MB. I did't test LTO build which
>> could further reduce size.
> Did you just swap MB for kB or what sizes are you talking about there?

KB :-)

> For a minimal install-system we should be able to compress everything
> using UPX.

For some reason, UPX breaks fork:

$ ./busybox ash -c '/bin/echo OK'
OK

$ upx busybox.exe
         File size         Ratio      Format      Name
     605184 ->    353792   58.46%    win64/pe     busybox.exe
$ ./busybox ash -c '/bin/echo OK'
       1 [main] busybox 4340 fork: child -1 - forked process 3076 died
unexpectedly, retry 0, exit code 0xC0000005, errno 11
ash: can't fork

Adding --compress-resources=0 --strip-relocs=0 does not help.

No such problem when packing dash or bash. Hmm....

Christian