[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: mscgen-0.20-2

Thomas Wolff towo@towo.net
Fri Feb 27 10:24:00 GMT 2015

On 26.02.2015 23:56, David Stacey wrote:
> On 26/02/2015 11:58, Thomas Wolff wrote:

>>> I tried rebuilding with '--with-freetype'. mscgen builds but always
>>> exits with an error code. This is because gdImageStringFT() always
>>> returns the string 'Could not set character size'. By default, the
>>> code is trying to use the 'helvetica' font. I have a goodly
>>> selection of font packages installed. Any ideas?
>> I had similar problems until I found out how to configure fonts. This
>> is very poorly documented.
>> With /etc/fonts/fonts.conf pointing to ~/.fonts, it is actually
>> sufficient to link your font directory to ~/.fonts
>> and you can address all fonts contained therein (including
>> subfolders) by their name like in
>> mscgen -T png -F "Droid Sans"
>
> I'm not sure you need to edit /etc/fonts/fonts.conf.
No, because it already lists ~/.fonts which gives a user an easy
opportunity to make his/her favourite fonts available without digging
into fontconfig (if only this option were documented...).

> By default, this includes /usr/share/fonts, so any font therein should
> be accessible to mscgen. You would only need to do this if you wanted
> to use fonts in non-standard locations - such as those from
> texlive-collection-fontsextra.
>
> I wonder if this is a problem with font types? 'fc-match helvetica'
> matches a PCF font, and that might explain the error, if libgd3 is
> trying to scale a bitmap font. But a TrueType Font such as 'Luxi Sans'
> works. Should I just patch mscgen so that the default font is a
> TrueType font?
That might be a good idea.
Be sure to include a dependency to the font package you choose for default,
e.g. font-bh-ttf for Luxi Sans,
or font-bitstream-vera-ttf for Bitstream Vera Sans;
font-cantarell-otf for Cantarell is also a good choice.
(I'd suggest not to choose a default from a texlive font package because
they are too big for a dependency.)
------
Thomas