[setup] Makefile.am patches

Eric Blake eblake@redhat.com
Mon Feb 16 18:22:00 GMT 2015

> On Feb 15 17:36, Achim Gratz wrote:
>> Corinna Vinschen writes:
>>> We're not going to skip writing ChangeLog entries.  If there is some
>>> automatism to write *correctly formatted* ChangeLog entries from the git
>>> commit message, then that method can and should be used.
>>
>> If they're correctly formatted to begin with it's no problem at all and
>> the extraction into an actual ChangeLog file is easily scriptable.
>
> I saw some .gitattributes file mentioning exactly this ChangeLog merging
> in the binutils-gdb repo and copied it over so it's part of our repo as
> well.
>
> I don't know exactly where to go from there.  The comment claims the
> user has to install the git-merge-changelog package and per the comment
> "this is the tricky part!".  Why that's the tricky part beats me.  The
> git-merge-changelog package is part of the Fedora distro.

git-merge-changelog is maintained upstream by the gnulib project, but it
does indeed deserve to be its own package.  Maybe I should try my hand
at doing an ITP for that package for cygwin.

> So, is that really all there is?  Installing git-merge-changelog,
> adding
>
>   [merge "merge-changelog"]
> 	  name = GNU-style ChangeLog merge driver
> 	  driver = git-merge-changelog %O %A %B
>
> to my .gitconfig and shoot?  So ultimately the user has to make the choice
> whether generating ChangeLogs automatically or manually, right?

If you automate the extraction of ChangeLog from the git log, you don't
need git-merge-changelog.  Conversely, if you still insist on
maintaining an actual ChangeLog file in git, you don't need
gitlog-to-changelog.  Basically, it is a choice of which of two
alternate methods are easiest for maintaining log history (I'd lean
towards the use of gitlog-to-changelog, although I'm used to both
approaches in different upstream GNU projects).