MTA packaging (exim, postfix, sendmail, ssmtp)

Yaakov Selkowitz yselkowitz@cygwin.com
Wed Oct 8 17:59:00 GMT 2014

On 2014-10-08 12:01, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:
> [...]

Except that cronlog isn't a real MTA.  What I think should happen
instead is cron should use cronlog if sendmail isn't present.

> I am fine with the proposal for exim, except that I was not planning to add
> rmail, rsmtp, and runq
> Those are for compatibility with smail.
> I never included them in the cygwin distribution and nobody  has ever
> complained.

Okay, thanks for clarifying.

> Also exim itself can run perfectly fine if the mta alternatives is set to
> another mta, except that mailq and sendmail won't call exim.
> So in exim-config I was going to present the current mta alternative to the
> user, explain the above, and ask if it should be changed.

IOW /usr/bin/exim can be called directly?  True, and I suspect that
would be the case for the other MTAs (certainly ssmtp).  But in that
case, is there a need to run exim-config?

Yaakov