[ITP] AtomicParsley

David Stacey drstacey@tiscali.co.uk
Wed Jun 4 22:02:00 GMT 2014

On 04/06/2014 00:32, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> On 2014-06-03 14:05, David Stacey wrote:
>> AtomicParsley is a utility for reading and writing metadata tags on MP4
>> files. It is found in many Linux distros, including Fedora [1].
>>
>> The package name has been capitalised to reflect the name of the
>> executable and to mirror the Fedora package name. Debian and Ubuntu both
>> use the lowercase 'atomicparsley' for the package name, but keep the
>> executable as 'AtomicParsley'. Personally, I prefer the Fedora
>> convention, but I'm happy to change this if there's precedent elsewhere.
>
> Generally we base this on the tarball name, but I see there aren't
> anymore.  The old (<=0.9.0) tarballs were CamelCased, but the hg repo
> is lowercase (go figure).  Under the circumstances, I'd say it's up to
> you.

Thank you for taking the time to look at this. I think I would prefer to
keep with 'AtomicParsley', as this reflects the executable name.

>> Finally, I've been asked in the past to provide man pages for
>> executables in my packages. AtomicParsley doesn't come with a man page,
>> so I've generated one using help2man(1). I'm tempted to drop the man
>> page though - even the Debian build comes without a man page these days
>> [2].
>
> help2man only provides good output if --help itself follows certain
> conventions; AtomicParsley does not.  Since we don't really have a
> policy to *require* manpages where they don't already exist (this
> isn't Debian), and the resulting manpage doesn't look all that
> readable anyway, I suggest you just drop it.

It's gone. I wasn't overly keen on the man page either :-)

> As for the actual build, you should drop src_compile() and use the
> default cygautoreconf/cygconf/cygmake combination. Cygwin-specific
> READMEs are optional, so you may drop that too if you wish.  Otherwise
> this looks GTG.

As per your suggestion I have dropped src_compile(). I've also removed
my custom src_install() - I don't need this since I'm not installing a
man page anymore. I've kept the Cygwin-specific README, as this is
generated and it would be more work to remove it than keep it.

If you're happy with this then please could you (or CGF) add an entry
for AtomicParsley to cygwin-pkg-maint. I'll give the new build one last
test tomorrow and then upload it.

Thanks again for your constructive suggestions,

Dave.