[ITA] tcl-sqlite3

Tue Jan 14 19:16:00 GMT 2014

On 2014-01-14 03:55, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> I don't know much about sqlite, but your package content puzzles me:
>
>    usr/lib/sqlite3.8.2/pkgIndex.tcl
>    usr/lib/sqlite3.8.2/sqlite382.dll
>    usr/share/man/mann/sqlite3.n.gz
>
> This looks only vaguely related to tcl.  I see that the existing
> tcl-sqlite3-3.7.15.2-1.tar.bz2 in the 64 bit distro looks similar,

Yes, that's the default TEA layout.

> but it's bound against sqlite-3.7.15.2, so it probably won't work
> with recent sqlite versions anyway.

It should still work, it just won't have bindings for the newest
features in sqlite-3.8.x.

> I really don't quite grok the directory layout and the naming.
>
> I took a look into the Fedora package, which is called "sqlite-tcl".
> It provides
>
>    /usr/lib/tcl8.5/sqlite3
>    /usr/lib/tcl8.5/sqlite3/libtclsqlite3.so
>    /usr/lib/tcl8.5/sqlite3/pkgIndex.tcl
>
> That makes more sense to me:
>
> - As a tcl package the shared lib should be under /usr/lib/tcl8.5

Not necessarily.  Packages built with Tcl stubs are not linked to
libtcl8.5 and should be compatible with any (at least newer) version of
Tcl without having to be rebuilt.

> - The subdir and the shared lib shouldn't have the *exact* name of
>    the sqlite version, otherwise they don't make sense anymore if
>    sqlite gets updated to, say, 3.8.3.

Tcl extensions are loaded via pkgIndex.tcl, so the module name itself is
irrelevant.

Yaakov