HEADSUP: New getent tool to read passwd and group data

Fri Feb 21 20:27:00 GMT 2014

For some reason the original mail didn't make it to the list.

I assume this is because the mail body contains raw email addresses.
Can you please filter them out before sending?  Thanks!

On Feb 21 12:47, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:
> [...]

The SID of the administrator or the SID of the administrors group?
The SID of the local administrator makes only marginal sense to me.
What do you need it for?

> Is there an equivalent mechanism using getent ?
> Else, could Cygwin disregard the passwd entries for these 2 users and use only the fixed values determined by the mapping from Windows?

You should not have to expect a name change for the SYSTEM and the
Administrators account.  It should be entirely sufficient to check for
the user Administrator and the user SYSTEM or +SYSTEM.  If you really
want to check by SID, feel free to enumerate all accounts by just
omitting the username and scan for the SID you're looking for:

  $ getent passwd | grep ',S-1-5-32-544:'

  $ getent group | grep ':S-1-5-18:'

HTH,
Corinna