[RFC] vim-minimal in Base?

Mon May 20 08:25:00 GMT 2013

On 2013-05-14 06:27, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> Er... what?  Since when does syntax highlighting require perl?

Not directly: syntax highlighting requires files from vim-common, which
pulls in perl due to other perl scripts contained therein.

> The old vim package I compiled when I maintained it was built with the
> --with-features=huge setting but didn't pull in any of the possible
> dependencies.  No perl, no python, no ruby.  But syntax highlighting
> worked fine.

The vim package still provides the huge feature set, now with the
addition of lua/perl/python/python3/ruby support (dynamically loaded).

Basically, if you want features, keep using vim.  Otherwise, ex/vi
(vim-minimal) provides the basic POSIX functionality.  The big change is
that vi != vim anymore.

> Apart from that, I guess calling vi (and that's what *many* users are
> used to) will now result in the same error Frank reported.

The workaround will be to use ~/.virc with vi.

> Any chance to build vim-minimal with a bigger default set of features
> which is only based on avoiding external deps?

The bigger feature sets require the support files in vim-common, and
*that* is the dependency which needs to be avoided for a minimal,
Base-worthy ex/vi.

Yaakov