[RFU] Please upload: algol68g package updates

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Mon Aug 12 22:57:00 GMT 2013

On 8/12/2013 5:12 PM, Thomas Wolff wrote:
> Am 11.08.2013 19:49, schrieb marco atzeri:
>> Il 8/11/2013 7:02 PM, Thomas Wolff ha scritto:
>>> Please upload the updated packages for algol68g (both 32 and 64 bit):
>>>
>>> cd algol68g
>>> wget http://towo.net/algol68g/algol68g-2.7-0-src.tar.bz2
>>> wget http://towo.net/algol68g/algol68g-2.7-0-`uname -m`.tar.bz2
>>>
>>> Thank you
>>> Thomas Wolff
>>
>> you can not assume that
>>  uname -m
>>
>> is providing anything useful.
> uname -m works on every system I've tried (unlike uname -p, uname -i).
> Very useful (e.g. in PATH=$HOME/bin/`uname`.`uname -m`:$PATH).

Marco didn't say that uname -m wouldn't work.  He said it wouldn't
provide anything useful.  The person trying to carry out your upload
request will be working on sourceware, where uname -m gives "x86_64"
regardless of the Cygwin architecture that your package is intended for.

>> Moreover we are not using the architecture on the binary file.
> I think it is really not a good idea to have the same name for archives
> of different packages. No other systems I know does this.
> I had raised this issue well in time
> (http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2013-04/msg00319.html) with some
> initially positive responses (including yours) but unfortunately no
> further discussion.
> My upload request was a feable attempt to foster this discussion again...

If you're really trying to foster a productive discussion, sending a
bogus RFU doesn't seem like the best way to do it.  All you accomplish
is to waste the time of people like Marco who have volunteered to
respond to RFUs.

Ken