why does setup keep trying to install non-required packages?

Thomas Wolff towo@towo.net
Sun Aug 11 15:23:00 GMT 2013

Am 11.08.2013 09:16, schrieb Andrew Schulman:
> Fairly often when I run setup just for updates, it selects new
> packages for
> installation that I haven't selected and that aren't required by any
> of my
> other packages.
>
> Right now setup wants to install the login package.  I didn't select it,
> and if I unselect it the installation continues without any problem.  It
> happened in setup-x86, and now setup-x86_64 wants to do it too.  I try to
> keep my installation slim, so I don't want setup to add new packages that
> aren't required and that I didn't select.
>
> Has anyone else observed this?
Yes, I noticed the same thing, and I noted the packages it wanted to
install once but they were different on the next attempt.
I don't have the list at hand now, but among them were some big packages
like lyx and ghostscript, certainly not by dependency.
Thomas