Maintainers please weigh in on 64-bit Cygwin

Gernot Hillier gernot.hillier@siemens.com
Mon Apr 8 13:01:00 GMT 2013

Hi there!

Am 17.03.2013 17:45, schrieb Christopher Faylor:
> I'd like to have a feel for how the 64-bit version of Cygwin will
> impact package maintainers.
>
> So, I'd appreciate some discussion about this.
>
> 1) Do you have a 64-bit version of Windows available?

Yes

> 3) Are you willing to download the current 64-bit Cygwin and start porting
> your stuff, knowing that there are still bugs?
> 4) Or, would you rather wait for 64-bit to be completely stable before
> attempting anything?

Well, somewhere in between. As I only maintain tftpd which neither has a
broad user base nor frequent upstream updates, I only look into Cygwin
packaging every now and then.

So I'd love to see some "Howto get your package built on 64-bit"
instruction. If things are shomehow shaky and unstable, that's no
problem, I can happily try and report - but likely I won't have time to
dig deeper or provide patches for other packages.

> 5) Does the existence of two different architectures make you think that
> it is time for you to stop offering the package?

No.

> 6) Would you be willing to have another person doing the 64-bit port for
> you?

As I don't expect too much overhead here: no.

> 7) Are you ok with a 64-bit alpha release being made available which contains
> your packages built by someone else?

Don't think this makes sense for tftpd.

--
Gernot
Siemens CT RTC ITP SDP-DE, Corporate Competence Center Embedded Linux