64bit: man misconfigured

Andy Koppe andy.koppe@gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 12:03:00 GMT 2013

On 30 March 2013 11:17, Thomas Wolff wrote:
> Due to changed /etc/man.conf, man64 uses escape sequences for bold display
> while man32 uses backspace combinations.

Backspace combinations?

> However, the escape sequences are not by default interpreted by less (less
> -r would work),
> so that PAGER=less man ... produces garbage display.

The 32-bit /etc/man.conf has this:

PAGER           /usr/bin/less -isrR

Whereas the 64-bit one has this:

PAGER           /bin/less -is

As Thomas alludes to, the -r option tells 'less' to pass escape
characters through to the terminal rather than turn them into a
highlighted "ESC".

The 32-bit man sources have a source patch that contains the
following, so I guess that hasn't been applied in the 64-bit version.

-DEFAULTLESSOPT="-is"
+DEFAULTLESSOPT="-isrR"

Andy