RFE: Cygw32 GNU Emacs Port

Daniel Colascione dancol@dancol.org
Wed Oct 10 06:50:00 GMT 2012

> On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 08:16:41PM -0700, Daniel Colascione wrote:
>> On 10/9/12 7:45 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
>>> 1.  This strikes me as going against the spirit of Cygwin, which tries
>>> to emulate Linux.  Why shouldn't users who want a GUI version of emacs
>>> just use emacs-X11, as they would on Linux?
>>
>> If I wanted to emulate Linux, I'd run VirtualBox.
>
> What you want is completely irrelevant.

I'm a Cygwin user, and I posted on a Cygwin mailing list and argued
that a package should be included in Cygwin. As part of my argument, I
described why Cygwin is useful to me and why I think the package I'm
proposing would make Cygwin more useful. There's nothing wrong with that.

Yes, you've heard the "Cygwin is not VirtualBox" argument before.
You're not swayed. I get it. So why bother replying? If I were
compelled to interrupt conversations just to complain that I'd already
heard some argument or other, I wouldn't be able to function in
society. Hell, I probably wouldn't make it down the block without
being arrested.