Names for debug packages

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Sat May 26 12:18:00 GMT 2012

There's been discussion on the cygwin list about packages containing
debug symbols, most recently in

   http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2012-02/threads.html#00536

where the consensus (I think) was that package maintainers could provide
such packages if they wanted to.  I would like to provide a package
containing debug symbols for emacs-*.exe, but I'm not sure what to call
it.  The thread I just cited discussed *-debuginfo.  But since then
Reini has released perl_debuginfo, and Corinna has released
cygwin-debug.  Could/should we standardize these names?  I don't know
whether to call my new package emacs-debuginfo, emacs_debuginfo, or
emacs-debug.  My personal preference is the last one, simply because
it's short.

Ken