tar.xz packages?

Tue Jan 31 20:37:00 GMT 2012

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 09:19:47PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Jan 31 12:59, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 03:37:48PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> >I'm not quite sure, but isn't it right that setup is capable of handling
>> >xz compressed tar files in the meantime?  Chris, does upset handle them
>> >as well?
>>
>> No, but I'm happy to make the change.  I've been meaning to suggest this,
>> actually.  The gdb discussion actually reminded me to bring it up but
>> you beat me to it.
>
>Cool.  So setup can handle xz already?

I believe that Chuck added lzma support a while ago so I assume .xz
files would work fine.  When I was autogenerating dvd images a while
ago, I converted packages to .lzma format.  So, unless something has
changed, I think we're ok.

I'll have to find an xz module for perl to get this working with
Cygwin.  If we decide this is desirable, do we just convert the entire
release?  It would make things slightly easier for upset if it didn't
have to know about multiple formats.

Yes, I know.  The mirrors! The mirrors! They will have to download the
equivalent of 1.5 times a full release!

Another possibility is not to use .xz as an extension but decide to use
some other extension (.cyg).  Then the format could change while the name
stays the same.

cgf