realpath: cygutils or coreutils?

Eric Blake eblake@redhat.com
Tue Jan 31 00:25:00 GMT 2012

On 01/30/2012 05:01 PM, Charles Wilson wrote:
> On 1/30/2012 3:32 PM, Eric Blake wrote:
>> In particular, it is much more powerful than the realpath(1) currently
>> offered by cygutils.  Should I build my next coreutils package with
>> realpath included, and wait to upload it until we can coordinate a build
>> with cygutils dropping the weaker variant?  Or do we want to keep the
>> cygutils variant for a while longer?
>
> I prefer standard tools when possible, and smaller cygutils. So, let's
> go ahead and coordinate removing realpath from cygutils-$next.

Great.  Meanwhile, I need to fix this bug in gnulib first; 'realpath
///' must print '/'; cygutils does, but coreutils currently prints '//'
(as it also does for 'readlink -m ///' which shares the same gnulib
function), so it will be another day or two before I have coreutils 8.15
ready to post.

> I should have some time in the next few days to do this -- and the
> pending csih bugfix...

It's a race to see which of us is busier with "Real Life" :)