[RFC] Packaging texlive

Peter Rosin peda@lysator.liu.se
Tue Feb 28 08:22:00 GMT 2012

Yaakov (Cygwin/X) skrev 2012-02-27 11:51:
> On Sun, 2012-02-26 at 18:10 -0500, Ken Brown wrote:
>> I'm thinking about volunteering to package texlive for Cygwin.  It's
>> present in many (if not all) major Linux distros, and it could replace
>> the obsolete tetex package if the tetex maintainer doesn't object.
>
> tetex is obsolete and needs to be replaced by TeX Live, no question.
> Jan, I presume you won't mind if we relieve you of this cruft?
>
> TeX Live also replaces psutils, listed as maintained by Daniel
> Boesswetter.  AFACIS he hasn't posted to these lists since November
> 2003, so I think it's fair to say that it's been orphaned.
>
>> Since Yaakov has already packaged texlive for Cygwin Ports, the obvious
>> question is whether he is planning to move it to the Cygwin distro.  If
>> so, I would yield to him.  If not, the main obstacle I see is that
>> texlive requires some packages (such as libpoppler, among others) that
>> are in Ports but not in Cygwin.
>
> AFAICS the dependencies not yet in the distro are:
>
> dialog
> openjpeg (as dep of poppler)
> poppler (*)
> python-imaging (aka PIL, for asymptote)
> zziplib
>
> (*) poppler partially replaces xpdf, so this would require coordination
> with Dr. Volker Zell.
>
> I'll ITP those and work with Volker on trimming xpdf.

Hi Ken!

First of all, a big and warm thank you!

But I just can't leave this info uncommented, despite the gratitude,
it is just too long a way from a previous quote about TeX Live
needing nothing else to be installed and maintained and that TeX
Live is working OOTB on Cygwin [1].  Missing deps and two clashes
with existing packages (not counting tetex*) and you call that no
maintenance?

However, lets end with another big and warm thank you!

Cheers,
Peter

[1] http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2011-11/msg00416.html