[ITP] R-2.14.1-1

marco atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 09:52:00 GMT 2012

On 2/10/2012 10:11 AM, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-02-10 at 07:30 +0100, marco atzeri wrote:
>> On 2/10/2012 4:37 AM, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
>>> Furthermore, is there a reason you use libRblas/libRlapack instead of
>>> the system lapack libraries?
>>
>> A tough discussion with R developers. They consider the standard Blas
>> crippled as non correctly handling NaN.
>>
>> For what I saw they have the tendency to make their own version of any
>> lib that does not fit on their exact expectation, for the same reason
>> they do not consider libtool and have a very unusual build.
>
> Bundling libs is usually a bad idea, and as Debian, Fedora, and Gentoo
> all seem to use the system lapack, I'd suggest to do so as well (as done
> in Ports).
>

> Yaakov

the request was a bit strong
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2011-November/062565.html

It seems R is assuming math for NaN is a must.

I agree that bundling libs is usually a bad idea, and that the normal
solution is to solve the problem with upstream libs. But it seems
that the math guys have less cross-cooperation skill than I usually
expect by open source teams.

Also netlib (blas/Lapack) have a peculiar development method....

Marco