ITP checkbashisms -- Check for bashisms in /bin/sh scripts

Sun Feb 5 19:42:00 GMT 2012

On 2/4/2012 3:55 AM, Jari Aalto wrote:
> checkbashisms script has been included in Debian since 200x (don't know
> exatly; its git log starts in 2007). It's part of the devsripts in Debian.
>
> To check build:
>
>     tar -xf check*.bz2
>     ./check*.sh --color --verbose all

We're not debian, and don't explicitly exclude the use of bashism in
*ALL* [/usr]/bin/*.sh scripts.  Even debian doesn't disallow bashisms i
*usr*/bin/ scripts -- and as /bin == /usr/bin on cygwin, we can't realy
distinguish between /bin/*.sh and /usr/bin/*sh.  Some of our scripts, in
fact, have sh-bang lines explicitly requiring bash (e.g. cygport).

So...I'm not sure this is a totally useful tool for cygwin; it might
lead to unnecessary list traffic:

"Hey, checkbashisms complains about /usr/bin/cygport, please fix..."

I realize this doesn't require votes as it is already in debian, and I
certainly have no veto power, but if it did require votes I'd be giving
it a '0' not a '+1'.

--
Chuck