openssl packaging (was: "dst_lib_init: openssl failure" after yesterday's update)

Mon Apr 16 23:48:00 GMT 2012

On 2012-04-06 03:20, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> After reading that problem I'm wondering if it's not the fault of the
> openssl packaging.  The runtime shared libs cygssl and cygcrypto are in
> the libopensslXXX package, but the engines are in the openssl package.

That would seem to be the problem, as libcrypto is the one to use the
engines directly.

> Yaakov, do you just change the dependency of the bind package

Wouldn't this be a problem for any package using libcrypto?

> or do you think the engines should be moved to the libopensslXXX package?

There is a problem with that.  Both 0.9.x and 1.0.1 install the engines
into the same directory, /usr/lib/engines.  You can't ship them in both
libopenssl098 and libopenssl100 because of file clobbering, and as most
of them are linked with libcrypto, I wonder what happens if you use the
1.0.1 engines with 0.9.x or vice-versa.

Therefore, the proper solution is for each version of the libraries to
install their engines into a versioned directory
(/usr/lib/openssl-$PV/engines) and ship them in the libopenssl packages.
  Unfortunately, that will require patching the Configure script, such as:

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=openssl.git;f=openssl-1.0.0-beta5-enginesdir.patch;hb=HEAD

HTH,

Yaakov