ITP libunistring 0.9.3-1

Erwin Waterlander waterlan@xs4all.nl
Fri Oct 7 10:55:00 GMT 2011

Op 7-10-2011 3:29, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) schreef:
> On Thu, 2011-10-06 at 22:52 +0200, Erwin Waterlander wrote:
>> I propose package 'libunistring' for cygwin.
> I presume you have another package in mind which will use this?

Yes, I'm going to use it in my own package wcd.

>> http://waterlan.home.xs4all.nl/libunistring/libunistring-0.9.3-1.tar.bz2
>> http://waterlan.home.xs4all.nl/libunistring/libunistring-0.9.3-1-src.tar.bz2
> There are several packaging issues:
>
> 1) Libraries should be packaged in separate runtime and development
> packages, so that nothing will break whenever the library ABI changes.

OK. I overlooked that. I started with dos2unix's cygport file as an
example. I'm still learning.

> 2) Your .cygport file uses internal functions.  This is not supported.

I see functions used also on other cyport files. I looked at libiconv's
cygport file.

> 3) You have skipped the cygautoreconf step.  As mentioned in the cygport
> documentation, this is strongly discouraged, particularly where libtool
> is involved.
>
> Therefore the .cygport should look like:
>
> DESCRIPTION="Unicode string library"
> HOMEPAGE="http://www.gnu.org/s/libunistring/"
> SRC_URI="mirror://gnu/libunistring/${P}.tar.gz"
>
> PKG_NAMES="libunistring0 libunistring-devel libunistring-doc"
> libunistring0_CONTENTS="usr/bin/cygunistring-0.dll"
> libunistring_devel_CONTENTS="usr/include/ usr/lib/"
> libunistring_doc_CONTENTS="usr/share/doc/ usr/share/info/"
>
> That's it.

Thanks.

> 4) I see this is one of Bruno's packages.  He has some unconventional
> views about the PE format, and Cygwin in particular.  I would suggest
> the attached patch.
>
>> category: Libs
>> requires: libgcc1
>> sdesc: "Library for manipulating Unicode strings."
>> ldesc: "This library provides functions for manipulating Unicode
>> strings and for manipulating C strings according to the Unicode standard."
> You will need separate .hint files for each subpackage, adding the
> external-source tag.  You also need to add a libiconv2 dependency to the
> runtime package and libiconv to the devel package.

Thanks. And the source patch should be in a separate file isn't it (not
included in the cygwin patch).

I create a new package with your improvements.

best regards,

--
Erwin Waterlander