256x256 px icons

Warren Young warren@etr-usa.com
Fri Jul 29 08:25:00 GMT 2011

On 7/27/2011 11:50 PM, Andy Koppe wrote:
 > To me, the black/grey border just looked like something went wrong
> with transparency during the conversion. Also, at 16px, the left and
> right sides of the terminal screen's frame have actually gone.

So far, my focus for the small icons has been quick and dirty for fast
idea turn-around over perfection.

For the final icons, I'm willing to do deeper cosmetic surgery.  In this
case, I can redraw the frame, 1 px wide.

Maybe there should be no black border at all, just a silver bezel to the
icon edge?

> Nice work removing the prompt. Did
> you go back to the original SVG to do that?

That would have been one way to do it, but I'd have had to go dig up the
SVG again (tossed it after rasterizing the first time days ago) then go
through an Illustrator and re-rasterizing pass.

Given that, it was just as easy to use Photoshop's content-aware fill
feature (awesome!) to cover the prompt text with reconstituted gradient,
then repair the gloss line with a bit of cloning.

> Thanks again for putting in this effort to have something tangible to
> compare with.

Certainly.  Far easier to argue about concrete examples than handwavy
possibilities.