256x256 px icons

Warren Young warren@etr-usa.com
Tue Jul 26 12:55:00 GMT 2011

> This discussion reminds me of the new icon format in Vista, which
> support icons of up to 256x256 bytes in PNG format.

Pixels, not bytes, unless you were thinking about 8 bpp paletted images.

I don't see -- in the almost nonexistent docs -- that windres actually
supports PNG icons.  windres.exe isn't linked to cygpng*.dll on my
system, so if it does support PNG icons, it must do so only by blindly
copying the PNG data into the COFF file.

> Is that something we should add, too?

The only time I've found where I can tell that a program has a high-res
icon is by looking at the blue info bar at the bottom of Explorer
windows.  A little poking around suggests that at least 64x64 is useful
with the default bar size.  You can resize it to make Explorer use a
larger icon, if available, but I doubt many ever do that.

For XP support, we still need to ship 32x32 and 48x48 pixel icons.