256x256 px icons

Warren Young warren@etr-usa.com
Fri Aug 5 17:35:00 GMT 2011

On 8/3/2011 11:49 PM, Andy Koppe wrote:

> Warren's has the advantage of a 256 version and that it's more
> tweakable assuming he provides the vector version it's presumably
> based on.

Sorry, there is currently no vector version.  Effects like bevels and
shadows are raster effects.  However, based on this:

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/SVG_filter_effects

it does look like SVG's been extended with the raster effects needed to
recreate my beveled icon.  I am installing Inkscape now and will try to
do that later, perhaps today, perhaps not.

In the meanwhile, here's my new beveled Cygwin logo:

	http://etr-usa.com/cygwin/logo/beveled-noshadow.psd

Changes from the original:

	- removed the big drop shadow (outer glow still present)
	- softened lighting on the wedge
	- dropped outer C stroke from white to a light gray
	- rebuilt as 1024 px square, not counting the outer glow,
           for finer editing control

This should open in any version of Photoshop going back to the 90s.  (v6
and up, I'm guessing.)  While I realize not everyone will have even
that, I'm providing it because it's based on easy-to-edit procedural
effects, rather than flattened raster effects.

However, I have made a fully rasterized, layered version compatible with
Gimp for those without even Photoshop 6.0:

	http://etr-usa.com/cygwin/logo/beveled-noshadow-rasterized.xcf

I also made a 256 px .ico, for those who just want to see it in action:

	http://etr-usa.com/cygwin/logo/beveled-noshadow.ico