default terminal (was: Re: "can't create master tty" errors)

Mon May 31 21:29:00 GMT 2010

[moving to -apps]
On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 07:50:36PM +0100, Andy Koppe wrote:
>On 31 May 2010 17:47, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>I don't remember responding to the original message so, if I didn't, I
>>apologize.
>
>No worries.
>
>>Thanks, as always, for your amazing support of mintty.  I wonder if
>>it's time to just make it the default for the cygwin terminal, knowing
>>that some windows apps won't work quite right.  We seem to get enough
>>"Cygwin's terminal emulation suck!" messages that I think they might
>>outweigh the counter complaints about some windows apps not working
>>correctly.
>
>Not my call of course, although I'm certainly not opposed.  I'd need
>help with the extra support, but quite a few people have been helping
>already (thanks!), so I expect that would be fine.  Perhaps as a first
>step, mintty could become part of the default install?

That's a good first step, IMO.

I'm wondering what the rest of the maintainer community thinks, though.

What do you all think about a two step plan of first making mintty part
of the default install and then making it the default terminal?

Maybe it would be nice if setup.exe was smart enough to offer an
alternative between the vanilla windows console and mintty but I can't
make myself believe that people would understand the difference.

Part of the reason I want to do this is that I just saw Andy commenting
in a "Death of Cygwin" blog post where the author was surprised that
something like mintty existed at all.  I've seen enough people who were
pleased by mintty that I'm thinking that it probably would be solving
more problems than would be seen by people upset by cygwin ptys.

cgf