default terminal

Tue Jun 1 00:30:00 GMT 2010

On 2010-05-31 16:29, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> What do you all think about a two step plan of first making mintty part
> of the default install and then making it the default terminal?

In theory, it makes perfect sense, although I wonder if simply
installing mintty by default might still be insufficient for people to
realize that they can/should be using it.

> Maybe it would be nice if setup.exe was smart enough to offer an
> alternative between the vanilla windows console and mintty but I can't
> make myself believe that people would understand the difference.

Me neither.

> Part of the reason I want to do this is that I just saw Andy commenting
> in a "Death of Cygwin" blog post where the author was surprised that
> something like mintty existed at all.  I've seen enough people who were
> pleased by mintty that I'm thinking that it probably would be solving
> more problems than would be seen by people upset by cygwin ptys.

Well, if you are trying to put across Cygwin as a *NIX platform, then it
makes sense that its default tools provide the functionality one would
expect from *NIX, and as far as a console goes, that means ptys.

So as one who strongly opposes the ever-present Cygwin-is-Windows
attitude, and a grateful mintty user, I am very much in favour of making
mintty the default.

Yaakov