Is anyone looking into the file-in-use setup.exe problems?

Thu Jan 14 16:33:00 GMT 2010

It seems pretty clear that something is broken in setup's file-in-use
code.

There seems to be recent breakage in that an in-use cygwin1.dll may cause
the whole cygwin package to not be installed.

But there is also, I think, a more fundamental problem.  If you can't
install cygwin then setup.exe should not be attempting to run
post-install scripts since they will likely break.

More generally, if the installation of a package dependency fails then
the package post-install script should probably be delayed into system
reboot.

Do I have this right?  Is anyone thinking about looking into this or
does anyone have any insight into the recent breakage?

cgf