ocaml packaging issue

Andrew Schulman schulman.andrew@epamail.epa.gov
Mon Oct 19 08:23:00 GMT 2009

> The executables in the ocaml package have access rights rwx--x--x,
> which means non-admins can't run them:
>
> bash: /usr/bin/ocaml: Permission denied

I believe that ocaml is without a maintainer ATM.

I've looked into packaging ocaml myself, and it's a tremendous PITA.  The
Makefile doesn't support --destdir, and the location of the ocaml runtime at the
time you built it gets baked statically into every bytecode executable.  So I
have to somehow trick it into thinking I'm installing into /usr/bin instead of
/home/andrex/dev/cygwin/..., or once it's installed it won't work for anyone but
me.

And that's before I even start to figure out why some executables (orpie, I
believe) that I build with ocaml 3.11 segfault, when they didn't with 3.08.

Andrew.