Mismatch [1.5] [1.7]: lzip-1.8-1

Sat Nov 28 20:00:00 GMT 2009

Dave Korn wrote:
>   If you build and package exactly the same sources in exactly the same way
> under 1.5 and 1.7, I would by default expect them to be released with the same
> version numbers.  Nothing is actually going to conflict, is it?

But the configure checks will "discover" different things on the two
platforms, so the resultant binaries will differ by more than (possibly)
using entry points in cygwin1.dll not available in the other version.

>   I also thought that one of the main reasons we were using a union-fs was so
> that we'd get shadows of the existing packages by default but could diverge
> them where we wanted to; otherwise we could just have one release tree which
> both setup.ini and setup-2.ini point into, each only listing their own
> relevant packages?

Machines do not have problems with the current scenario.  setup.ini and
setup-2.ini are working just as you envision, union-fs and all. The
problem is humans.

When I see a bug report "Problem with ncurses-5.7-11" I know right away
that the OP is using cygwin-1.7; sure, I could clarify if I needed to,
but one less step in the problem-analysis phase is always nice.

>   Note that this is not just a theoretical concern for me, I've already rolled
> a gcc4-4.3.4-2 that just needs some testing, but now it seems I may have to
> respin it (or perhaps drop the 1.5 version I was planning, but that's a topic
> for another thread.)

Well, first: did you actually *build* it twice?  Or only once (on
cygwin-1.5) and are relying on union-fs to DTRT?  If the latter, then
you're good to go.  If the former...well, ick,

In any case, this will not be a problem for much longer. I have no
inside information other than what has been posted on the various lists,
but it seems like this 1.5/1.7 hell is drawing to a close soon.

--
Chuck