[ITP] bind-9.6.0-1

Thu Jan 22 08:57:00 GMT 2009

On Jan 21 17:11, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > I'm not asking to use the resolver lib.  I'm asking that the resolver
> > code in bind's libs uses the same method to fetch nameserver and
> > domain information as Cygwin's default resolver does.
>
> You could just as easily make the same argument on Linux: glibc already
> includes a resolver lib, so why shouldn't BIND use it?  I have yet to
> see a Linux distribution patch bind to use libresolv, and I see little
> difference between using libresolv and copying (part of) minires into BIND.

Is my English really so bad?  I'm not (NOT) asking that bind uses the
minires/Cygwin resolver.  I'm just talking about the methods used to
fetch resolver information.

On Linux, the resolver in glibc and the resolver code in BIND are using
the same technique.  Which is, fetch the information from
/etc/resolv.conf.  That file is the only source of information on Linux
anyway.

On Cygwin, the resolver code in minires/Cygwin is right now using a
different technique than the resolver code in BIND.  Minires/Cygwin uses
the Win32 function GetNetworkParam() if /etc/resolv.conf does not exist.

The idea is that you enhance the BIND resolver code to do the same: Use
/etc/resolv.conf if it exists.  But if not, use GetNetworkParam() to
fetch the same information.  And that's a big difference since the user
doesn't have to duplicate this information, especially if it changes.
And using GetNetworkParam is really simple.  An #ifdef __CYGWIN__ with
about 30 lines of code.

> > Which is basically
> >
> > - use /etc/resolv.conf if available
> > - otherwise, use Windows' GetNetworkParam() function.
>
> You asked originally if it was feasible to do so.  There is a Windows
> version of BIND, so perhaps it is possible, but AFAICS accomodating both
> would be difficult to maintain.  If we're going to expect every Cygwin
> user to maintain an /etc/fstab, I really don't see why we can't expect
> those few who want to use BIND to maintain an /etc/resolv.conf.

Apples/Oranges.  POSIX mount points don't exist anywhere in Windows,
resolver information does.  Yes, /etc/passwd and /etc/group also contain
redundant information and I'm not happy with it.  But in contrast to
/etc/resolv.conf the information in this files also contains information
not available on the system by default.

Red Hat