1.7 installation failed (on network drive?)

Thomas Wolff towo@towo.net
Wed Dec 9 10:53:00 GMT 2009

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Dec  8 18:21, Thomas Wolff wrote:
>
>> Corinna Vinschen schrieb:
>>
>>> ... Build a debug version of setup (you need gcc-3
>>> for that since the -mno-cygwin option is still used), start it under
>>> GDB, and set a breakpoint to filemanip.cc:468.  GDB will break there if
>>> an error gets triggered.  Examine what status codes are returned.
>>> See /usr/include/w32api/ddk/ntstatus.h what status code that is.
>>>
>> OK; since setup is not a cygwin package, where would I get the
>> sources in the first place? And is there a README telling me how to
>> build a debug version (make debug?)?
>>
> Basically:
>
>   cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@cygwin.com:/cvs/cygwin-apps setup
>   CC=gcc-3 configure
>   make 'CFLAGS=-g'

So I don't need to switch set-gcc-default-3.sh, thanks.
Actually, I already checked out and compiled (after installing a bunch
of dependencies) over night after cgf's pointer to
http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin-apps/setup.html.
However, I didn't include the -g flag, assuming that leaving out the
final 'strip' step might suffice.

>> In case I don't get it compiled, maybe you could prepare two debug
>> versions (with/w/o the change below) and send them to me? I could
>> take an extra trip to that lab tomorrow for testing.
>>
> Well, yes, but there's very little reason that you shouldn't get it
> build.

Kind of... I did the small change you suggested and ran make again for a
second test build, and guess what happens?
It's compiling *everything* again all over; that's not quite the purpose
of make, is it?
So is it really useful to go over and do the test after that's finished,
or do I need to recompile two more full times with -g?

Thomas