packaging FriCAS and noweb

Martin Rubey martin.rubey@univie.ac.at
Mon Oct 6 07:00:00 GMT 2008

(for those who didn't see the message on cygwin@cygwin.com: I'd like to get
FriCAS and noweb into the cygwin distribution.  FriCAS is a rather large free
computer algebra system, it depends on noweb.  Since I have a course starting
this week where I want the students to be able to use FriCAS, I need some
preliminary solution until FriCAS get's in)

Dear Christopher,

> >I found some "unofficial" cygwin packages around, like
> >
> >http://lilypond.org/cygwin/release/noweb/
> >
> >but I do not know how I could install them.  Is it correct that setup.exe is
> >the wrong tool to install those?
> >
> >So, in short, I believe I can provide the source and binary package and
> >setup.hint (see below), but I do not understand whether providing this would
> >be enough for my students to install it...
> >
> >Help would be greatly appreciated.  Many, many thanks,
>
> I'm sorry but I can't offer much help.  You really do have to go through the
> whole process of getting the package in the distribution.  If you have
> questions, you need to ask *specific* questions rather than just profess
> general ignorance.  And, since this is a package, the first thing you need to
> do is move the questions to the appropriate mailing ilst - cygwin-apps .

Done. Sorry, I read the mailing list guide, but I was too stupid to sort out
which one to use.

> As far as the package at lilypond.org, you should contact that site for help
> and questions.

Well, I think I sorted this one thing out for myself: I just downloaded the
noweb-2.11b-2.tar.bz2 and setup.hint and used Setup.exe with "Install from
Local Directory".  Unfortunately, setup.exe seems to ignore setup.hint, in
particular the "requires" section.

Is there any way to have the following work:

1) student downloads some file from my webpage
2) student starts some installation routine, possibly setup.exe

Or does he really manually have to select everything that's needed from the
package list in setup.exe?

I should stress that I *really* want to get FriCAS into the cygwin distro, and
I can guarantee that I will maintain it (I'm one of the main contributors of
FriCAS).

Many thanks for your patience,

Martin