cygwin-services-helper [was: Re: [ITA] inetutils-1.5-1]

Wed Feb 27 06:27:00 GMT 2008

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Feb 25 20:46, Charles Wilson wrote:
>> How about a new package, "cygwin-services-helper" or somesuch, that
>> contains
>>
>> (1) a script [*] derived from the appropriate portion of sshd-host-config,
>> whose job is to create the appropriate priveleged user (I like
>> 'cygwin_svc') -- unless it already exists under either name ('cygwin_svc'
>> or 'sshd_server').
>>
>> (2) maybe another script [*] whose job is to ascertain whether such a user
>> already exists, and return its name (or "" if not).
>>
>> It would be up to the calling foo-config to use these two scripts
>> appropriately.  And, of course, the user might have to enter the password
>> for the priveleged user account twice: once when it is created, and then
>> again (by foo-config) to install the service 'foo'.
>>
>> Then, openssh (and inetutils, and syslog-ng, and sysvinit, ...) could all
>> depend on the "cygwin-services-helper" package.
>>
>> [*] or maybe a script function library somewhere like
>> /usr/lib/cygwin-services/ that foo-config could 'source', and then call the
>> functions directly.  This would help the "enter the password twice"
>> problem...
>
> Sounds good!  The function library would be cool.

Here's my first draft.  Totally untested, almost nuthin' in the way of
documentation...but I figured I'd post it now, because I won't have time
for any more cygwin stuff until the weekend...

TODO: (1) test, documentation, bughunt this function library
       (2) rewrite ssh-host-config to use it
       (3) rewrite iu-config to use it
       (4) rewrite syslog-config to use it
       (5) chase setup.exe bug with regards to inetutils' setup.hint
       (6) incorporate bugfix for rshd (and rexecd /does/ have a similar
bug)
       (7) remove --install-as-service from inetd

       (7a) add code to read existing \\Parameters\ConfigFilePath
REG_SZ,, instead of ignoring it completely in favor of
\\Parameters\ConfigFilePaths REG_MULTI_SZ -- probably migrating it over
to the new REG_MULTI_SZ, since new 1.5 code *expects* at least two
entries in the char** config_files array.

       (8) batten down the hatches on default inetd.conf
       (9) update inetutils.README to reflect #7 & #8

Yeesh.  This is gonna take a while...

--
Chuck