[RFC] 1.7 Packaging: Documentation

Reini Urban rurban@x-ray.at
Fri Aug 15 17:18:00 GMT 2008

Eric Blake schrieb:
> According to Yaakov (Cygwin Ports) on 8/15/2008 1:43 AM:
>> As for license files, do we really need to install hundreds of copies of
>> the same license?  IANAL, so does a symlink to the copy in base-files
>> suffice, or is the mere presence of the latter enough?
>
> I would prefer the symlink.  It's still nice to be able to read a
> per-package license by following the symlink.
>
>> 3) where to install docs
>>
>> Could we remove the versioning from the docdir and Cygwin README, IOW:
>>
>> /usr/share/doc/foo/
>> /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/foo.README

docdir without version ++

But for the README I'd prefer the version.
Dummy users might have troubles finding out the installed version.
Hardly anyone knows about /etc/setup/installed.db

I would also like a generated .lst MANIFEST file for the binary packages
in the public setup dir.
--
Reini Urban
http://phpwiki.org/  http://murbreak.at/