[HEADSUP] Let's start a Cygwin 1.7 release area

Pēteris Kļaviņš klavins@netspace.net.au
Tue Apr 22 15:26:00 GMT 2008

Brian Dessent wrote:
> P?teris K?avi?Å¡ wrote:
>
>> Does the Cygwin DLL know its own path?  If so, how about
>>
>> \Software\Cygwin\<path-to-dll>
>>
>> ... to allow multiple parallel Cygwin installs?
>
> I think you've missed the context of this discussion.  This key will
> never be read or written by the DLL, and the DLL already supports
> parallel installs by the fact that it uses /etc/fstab.

Hmm.  Well, if it's only setup that needs the registry entry, and if
multiple setups, regardless of <path-to-setup>, are using the same fixed
registry entry serially, what's the point of the registry entry?
Remembering where the last setup's root was?  Which could have been
moved by the user afterwards?