[HEADSUP] Let's start a Cygwin 1.7 release area

Wed Apr 9 12:16:00 GMT 2008

On Apr  9 05:09, Brian Dessent wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
> > Yes.  I'm just wondering if we could do without the final rename of the
> > directories.  The Cygwin release area isn't that small, > 4 Gigs.  A
> > simple top-level directory rename will force all mirrors world-wide to
> > copy the whole area.  Twice, because we will have two release areas.
> >
> > If that's a minor concern, we do as above.  Otherwise, I'd suggest to
> > create a "release-2" area and to update just setup.exe accordingly.
>
> We can still rename the .ini files without renaming the directory trees,
> it's all just a matter of how the upset cron job runs.  I'm not sure if
> that really buys any clarity, but what it does do is allow us to "swap
> in" the entire staging area atomically once 1.7 is released.  Otherwise,
> only users who updated their setup.exe would ever see the 1.7 release.
> I can almost see the email messages now: "Is Cygwin dead?  I haven't
> seen a new release of the DLL or any updated packages in the last <nn>
> months?!?!"

Ok, let's decide about renaming directories at some later point.  For now,
I will just create a second dir for the 1.7 test release.  Last call for
the right name:

  release-ng
  release-2
  release-2008
  release-1.7

My favorite would be release-2.  It has nothing to do with the DLL
version number, it's just release 2 of the net distro.  I will happily
use any other name as long as we can agree to take off in the next days.

Red Hat