[itp] Coda filesystem

Phil Nelson phil@cs.wwu.edu
Wed Sep 5 00:03:00 GMT 2007

On Tuesday 04 September 2007 3:53:17 pm d.henman wrote:
> I am not an expert of current distributed files systems, but for cygwin wouldn't
> MogileFS be easier to implement (even though its not a fs in and of itslef). From
> my understanding it only requires perl and mysql I believe.
>
> Ref:  http://www.danga.com/mogilefs/

The real intent of my questions was more like:

   We are already managing cygwin packages in a private
cygwin mirror for Coda.   We would like to make the packages
be on all cygwin mirrors.

I wasn't asking just to bring in a distributed file system.   And
Coda and MogileFS are not really similar file systems.

From the web site:

 " you don't run regular Unix applications or databases against MogileFS.
 It's meant for archiving write-once files and doing only sequential reads."

While you can't have a database file in Coda either,  Coda is a full R/W
distributed file system with "disconnected operation".   But I don't want
to end up in a discussion of Coda vs any other FS, I just wanted a
discussion of inclusion of Coda or not.

--Phil

--
Phil Nelson (phil@cs.wwu.edu) http://www.cs.wwu.edu/nelson