[ITP] perl-5.8.8

Reini Urban rurban@x-ray.at
Mon Jul 2 17:42:00 GMT 2007

Corinna Vinschen schrieb:
> On Jul  2 19:06, Reini Urban wrote:
>> Corinna Vinschen schrieb:
>>> - Your package pollutes the /usr/bin directory with two versions of
>>>  *almost* every tool in the perl package, foo, foo5.8.8, bar, bar5.8.8,
>>>  etc.  The former 5.8.7 package only created a perl5.8.8 parallel to
>>>  the perl exe, but all other binaries were only available without
>>>  versioning, same as in the Linux distros I have my hands on, btw.
>> This is intended and current practice for perl developers with a lot of
>> different perl versions around to test their libraries against.
>
> Erm... that's ok for *your* test and build machines, but this is a
> stable release you're planning, not a test version.

I'm planning to release the test version also. See the thread under
[perl-5.9.5]. The package is ready without any testsuite failure, it's
just not yet released upstream and we are still finding silly bugs.

But if the additional 5.8.8 script suffix is a problem I can pull them
out. For me it made things clearer.
--
Reini Urban