best practice for upgrading config files?

Jason Alonso jbalonso@gmail.com
Tue May 9 21:25:00 GMT 2006

On 5/9/06, Max Bowsher wrote:
> > (3) Compute a checksum of the current /etc/lftp.conf, and compare it to the
> > checksum of the old default.  If they're the same, then the user hasn't
> > touched the old default so copy the new default in.  If they're different,
> > then prompt the user as in (2).  So we need to store checksums of default
> > config files somewhere.  This is Debian's method.  Again if this is the
> > preferred method, then someone should develop a standard method to handle
> > it.
>
> Debian has a package called ucf which provides this kind of service to
> maintainer scripts. I imagine we could adopt it too, if we wanted.
>
> Max.

Hmm.  Gentoo's etc-update script is a pretty straightforward tool that
handles "trivial changes" and allows users to run diff interactively
on their proposed new scripts.  Perhaps a tool *like* this would be
appropriate for Cygwin?

Jason