ITP: rxvt-W

Tue Mar 21 21:02:00 GMT 2006

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 14:41:32 -0500, "Charles Wilson"
<cygwin@cwilson.fastmail.fm> said:
> > Corinna said:
> > On Mar 21 12:52, Charles Wilson wrote:
> > > There's one other minor issue, too: the batch file (but not the #!
> > > script) would be limited to 9 command-line parameters.
> >
> > Really?  I think the cmd shell knows a "shift" command, too.
>
> Sure, but then I'd have to
>   (1) compose a command string by explicitly concatenating all
>   positional arguments into one big string.
>   (2) prepend the target app
>   (3) use eval (actually, in cmd.exe just '%var% causes var to be
>   expanded and executed)
> BUT I'd have to worry about parsing and quoting rules, preserving
> embedded spaces in arguments (-fn "Lucida Console-16"), multiple
> expansion issues...

D'oh!

Never mind.  At least on W2K, the following works regardless of how many
command line arguments there are.  There still may be quoting issues,
but...

@echo off
REM set target executable name %TGT%
REM set PATH appropriately
%TGT% %*

So there's no limit on command line arguments, even in the wrapper batch
file.

> Yes, it's possible -- but really really prone to error, bugs,
> complaints, mailing list traffic. Maybe it's not as hard as I think it
> will be, but IMcurrentO it's much better to simply say "use ~/.Xdefaults
> and -name variants if needed".

So ignore this.  I still think using ~/.Xdefaults instead of the same 15
command line arguments all the time is The Right Thing To Do, but that's
just me.  Other users won't be arbitrarily limited.

--
Chuck