A question for the Ruby maintainer: RubyGems?

Igor Peshansky pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Thu Jan 19 14:26:00 GMT 2006

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Jan 18 19:06, Igor Peshansky wrote:
> > Hi, Corinna,
> >
> > As far as I understand, RubyGems is the Ruby equivalent of Perl's CPAN.
> > Is there a particular reason why it's not part of the ruby package?  Does
> > the ruby package contain alternative mechanisms for installing standard
> > Ruby modules from the global repository?  Would you be interested in
> > including it in the next Ruby releases, or should I look into matching its
> > packaging structure with "ruby" and proposing it as a separate package?
>
> I'm not interested in maintaining mroe than the base package.  If you
> want to add RubyGems, feel free to either prepare a separate package,
> or to take over ruby maintainership entirely (it build OOTB anyway).
> I have no problems either way.

Okay, thanks.  I'll play around with the install, see how hard it is to
get it to behave properly, and try to ITP it at some point.  If it turns
out I'll be using ruby more extensively, taking over maintainership may be
an option too.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/