[ITP] gt5-1.3 -- A terminal program to show disk usage and navigate between directories

Dr. Volker Zell Dr.Volker.Zell@oracle.com
Tue Feb 21 10:38:00 GMT 2006

    > Ok, "install" worked.

    >> dk@rainbow /artimi/cyg-test-gt5/test-2> which gt5
    >> gt5: Command not found.
    >>
    >> Forgive me if I'm being really stupid, or if we just have different
    >> meanings of the word "work", but I just don't get it: /HOW/ do I
    >> turn this source tarball into a working, installed version of gt5 on
    >> my pc?

    > Good work. You did nothing wrong. The idea of Cygwin packaging is
    > not to "install live", but into a separate directory. The
    > result of installation appears inside .inst/ (as hinted briefly in
    > prevous message);

    >     /artimi/cyg-test-gt5/test-2> find .inst/ -print

    > This result directory is then converted into [binary] Cygwin Net
    > Release:

    >     ./gt5-1.3-1.sh package

    > But you don't need to do that. The shipment (URLS mentioned) included
    > the ready made binary package in file:

    >     gt5-1.3-1.tar.bz2

    > which you can install like any other Cygwin Net Release with:

    >     tar -C / -jxvf gt5-1.3-1.tar.bz2

Jari it would be nice if the two steps (pkg/spkg) in your build scripts
behave like in other build scripts (g-b-s/Yaakov's Gentoo-based package build script).
They should produce binary and source packages in the same directory in
which the build script itself is located. Or at least make sure the all
step puts them there as promised in your Cygwin specific README.

   Build instructions:
     unpack gt5-1.3-1-src.tar.bz2
       if you use setup to install this src package, it will be
       unpacked under /usr/src automatically
     cd /usr/src
     ./gt5*.sh all

   This will create:
     gt5-1.3-1.tar.bz2
     gt5-1.3-1-src.tar.bz2

Right now both the binary and source packages are created under .sinst
and the all step unconditionally deletes the whole dir tree. People like
me who want to build from source are forced to run the
prep/conf/make/install/pkg/spkg manually and then copy the bin/source
packages to a safe location before ruinning finish.

It would also avoid unneccessary mailing list traffic if your build
system interface implementation behaves the same as the g-b-s one. See
the recent gt5 thread.

    > Hth,
    > Jari

Ciao