CVS setup.exe crashes on Windows 2003 Server x64

Dave Korn dave.korn@artimi.com
Mon Dec 18 15:03:00 GMT 2006

>>> NTSecurity::setDefaultSecurity (this=0x23f780) at main.cc:340 #4
>>> 0x0043ed33 in set_default_sec () at main.cc:237 #5  0x0043f3a2 in
>>>     WinMain (h=0x400000, hPrevInstance=0x0, command_line=0xe0245d
>>> "", cmd_show=10) at main.cc:482 #6  0x00499238 in main (argc=1,
>>>     argv=0x346b8, __p__environ=0x33090) at ../../runtime/main.c:73
>>>
>>> After a little debugging, it looks like the this pointer is getting
>>> corrupted between frames 1 and 0 (it is valid in frame 1 and invalid
>>> -- 0x105 IIRC -- in frame 0).

> Sorry, I meant to say that the this pointer is fine in
> NTSecurity::setDefaultDACL (frame 2), but bad in
> NTSecurity::initialiseEveryOneSID (frame 1).

  Oh well, that blows out my theory you might have been getting linked against
the wrong version of the libs (64-vs-32 bit) and hence get disagreements about
sizes of various integer types being passed on the stack as arguments.

  Wait a minute!  That stack trace shows 'this as having the same value in
frames 1, 2 and 3, it's 0x23f780 in all of them.  That suggests that gdb is
parsing the stack right and the code is getting it wrong.  I think you still
need to worry about sizes of stack arguments.  Maybe there's a header file
somewhere that uses an int where it should have written long int, and nobody's
noticed until LP64 made them become different sizes?

>>   Don't have 64bits or 2k3 but I'll see how win2k likes it.

  Haven't tested this yet owing to wanting to keep my installation stable
while doing gcc testsuite runs.  Should be able to give it a go tonight or
tomorrow.

    cheers,
      DaveK